[caption id="attachment_21759" align="aligncenter" width="620"] http://www.csnbayarea.com[/caption] People often preach that "punters are people too." Well, that may be true, but the same can be said when it comes to defensive players in our Player of the Week series. After 11 weeks of football, only one defensive player has won the awards of all awards -- Clay Matthews back in week 2. But thanks to a glorious performer by our 117kg beast of a friend from downtown San Francisco, that number has now doubled. So, our week 11 POTW is --
ALDON SMITHOLB, San Francisco 49ers. DOB: 25 September, 1989 (23 years old) College: Missouri Height: 6’4 (1.93m) Weight: 117kg NFL Draft: 7th overall pick, 2011 NFL Draft Week 11 stats: vs Chicago Bears - 7 tackles, 5.5 sacks Career Stats: 80 tackles, 5 FF, 29 sacks
Why he won our player of the week (week 9)On Monday Night Football, Aldon Smith sacked backup Bears QB Jason Campbell for the following losses:
-6, -6, -11, -8, -8 and -10 yards. That's a total of -49 yards. Let's put that into perspective for a second.
- Smith dropped Campbell for more yards in the entire game than Campbell had thrown for until five minutes remaining in the third quarter on Monday night.
- Smith dropped Campbell for only 15 yards less than Cardinals QB Ryan Lindley threw for the entire game against Atlanta in week 11 (64).
- Most importantly, Smith dropped Campbell for 10 more yards than Tim Tebow has thrown for in the entire 2012 season (39).
FACTS AND FIGURES
- Per Adam Schefter, Aldon Smith now has 29 sacks in 26 career games, more than any player after 29 games in NFL history.
- Smith leads the NFL this season in total sacks with 15.0, edging out second-place Von Miller (13.0) and JJ Watt (11.5).
Smith’s 15 sacks is more than the Jacksonville Jaguars (12) and Oakland Raiders (11) have as a team.
- After the week 11 clash with Chicago, Smith broke the MNF record of 5.5 sacks, which was also the fifth-most in NFL history in a single game.
- On a more sour note, Smith was allegedly stabbed earlier this year after trying to "break up" a fight. It is believed the accused was then sacked for a loss of 8 yards.
- Smith's 14 sacks in his rookie year was .5 shy of the all-time rookie sack record (Jevon Kearse). He did it without starting a single game for the season.
What he said
"I was just playing my game and getting after it." - Aldon Smith