So I decided I would vote in the Pro Bowl 2010 voting for the first time this year and write about who I picked. For those who don't know what the Pro Bowl is, its like an All Star game that gets played at the end of each year...this year it is on January 31st in South Florida. A few players from each position are chosen for their outstanding performances during the year and then they represent either the NFC or AFC (depending on which Conference their team is in) in an exhibition game. Each player wears a NFC or AFC custom uniform but wear their own team helmets which I think is cool. Unlike many NFL experts who write the Pro Bowl off....I actually like it and think its entertaining. I love the commentary during the game and finding out why each player got into the Pro Bowl as the game unfolds. Players are miked up, there is heaps of little interviews during the game, you get to see players interact with each other and get to know a bit about different players from other teams you might not normally see. So with my selections I tried not to go with the obvious big name choices and wanted to pick some players I thought made a difference and that others might overlook. For the sake of your sanity I will just explain my Offensive picks at the key positions. Here we go.
- Vince Young Has bounced back from losing his starting job for a season and personal issues to lead his team to an end of season hot streak.
- Peyton Manning Pretty explainable...he has been amazing and is a MVP front runner.
- Philip Rivers Feels like he keeps getting better and I feel he has stepped up to a new level this season and now is the face of the franchise....RIP LT.
- Aaron Rodgers I was going to pick Favre but decided to go with Rodgers who in my opinion has gone through a lot and stood up against diversity (despite his sub-par Offensive Line) and led his team to a strong second half of the season.
- Drew Brees See Peyton Manning's explanation.
- Tony Romo ...coz he's my boy and I think hes had a great year despite not having the big flashy numbers he has had in the past.
- Ray Rice After some hype last year, Rice came out of nowhere this year and ran wild despite sharing the backfield at the start of the season with LeRon McClain and Willis McGahee.
- Chris Johnson Solidified himself this season as one of, if not the best Running Back in the league.
- Joseph Addai I know there are heaps of other really good candidates but I like Addai and thought he really helped Manning and the Colts to their success this season.
- Steven Jackson Despite being on a terrible Rams team with a horrible record and a weak roster, Jackson put the team on his back and ran like a man possessed all season .
- Adrian Peterson No suprises here...I though he might have had a bigger year but hey....he is amazing.
- Frank Gore The 49'ers just aren't the same without him and it doesn't matter who he is up against...he will perform.
- Andre Johnson Catches everything thrown his way, makes plays, and just does it all. One of the most underrated and complete Receivers in the game.
- Chad Ochocinco I love watching Chad play and admired the way he played and acted this year to help the Bengals turn the corner and become a force.
- Vincent Jackson Despite having a few quiet games here and there I feel Jackson established himself as one of the best Receivers in the game this year.
- Pierre Garcon This one is really an upset and a bit of a stretch in front of names like Wayne, Moss and Welker but I just loved how Garcon stepped into the complicated Colts offense as a rookie and improved week in and out to become a legit NFL Wide Receiver.
- DeSean Jackson Not many other players in the league were as exciting to watch as Jackson as he ripped off big play after big play all season.
- Miles Austin After some hype within the Cowboys in the last few pre seasons, Austin finally stepped up big time this season and established himself as one of the leagues most dangerous deep threats and game breakers.
- Sidney Rice Came out of nowhere and gelled with Favre early resulting in big numbers every week and finally giving the Vikings a much needed number 1 receiver.
- Dallas Clark Almost a Wide Receiver in the Colts Offense Clark torched defense upon defense week in and out all season. One of my new favourite players....I love players who make one handed catches!
- Antonio Gates Despite not putting up big TD numbers this year Gates has had another great season.
- Vernon Davis Had the potential and finally delivered this year in a big way leading the league in TD receptions.
- Brent Celek Has quietly become one of the best Tight Ends in the game which the Eagles realised and reacted upon on by signing him to a nice new fat juicy contract mid season.